b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] Genesis 15:6

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Trevor Peterson" <06peterson AT cua.edu>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] Genesis 15:6
  • Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 21:19:48 -0400

Paul wrote:

> Actually I am using
> GRAMCORD, the reason of asking this question is that I notice
> this particular verb missing a hireq-yodh infix after the
> second consonant. Is missing a hireq-yodh infix typical for
> hif'il? Thanks.

Well, the hireq is there, is it not? The voweling can only be hifil.
This is what's called a defective writing. You'll find them all over the
place. At this stage of the writing (in the consonantal text), medial
long vowels are not consistently written. Sometimes the yod will be
there, sometimes not. You just have to be ready for it to appear either
way.

Trevor Peterson
CUA/Semitics