b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Why "believe" are in Hifil stem?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Ynjiun Paul Wang" <ypw AT att.net>
  • To: "B-Hebrew@Lists. Ibiblio. Org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Why "believe" are in Hifil stem?
  • Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 17:02:30 -0700

Hi,

I searched through GRAMCORD and found almost all the 'amen (believe)
are in Hifil. My understanding of Hifil
translation usually involve two subjects: SUBJ2 causes SUBJ1 to do/be (verb).
Does this imply the translation of Genesis
15:6 could be: "God (or LORD) causes he (Abram) to believe in the LORD and He
reckoned it to him as righteousness."? or
"believe" is an exception in Hifil which does not need two subjects but one
such as reflexive? Can anyone help me with
this and point me to the right reference? Thank you very much.

Sincerely yours,

Paul