b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] Genesis 15:6

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Trevor Peterson <06PETERSON AT cua.edu>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>, ypw AT att.net
  • Cc:
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] Genesis 15:6
  • Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 13:42:53 -0400

>===== Original Message From ypw AT att.net =====
>Dear Friends,
>
> Regarding the first verb (ha-aman) in Genesis 15:6, shall it be
> parsed as
"Verb, Hophal, Perfect, Third Person,
>Masculine, Singular" or "Verb, Hiphil, Perfect, Third Person, Masculine,
Singular"?

> Could anyone refer me to the proper document to show either way?
> Thank you
very much.

Are you working from an unvoweled text? The Tiberian pointing is
clear--he'emin fits the pattern of hif'il. (Alef as the initial radical draws
the vowel back to /e/ and echoes it as a half-vowel instead of the usual
closed syllable, but this is normal.)

As far as documentation, you could check any decent grammar (intro or
reference) or lexicon (one that shows the attested forms).

Trevor Peterson
CUA/Semitics