b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Job 12:16 interpreted in context of Is. 45:7

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jim West <jwest AT highland.net>
  • To: Karl Randolph <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Job 12:16 interpreted in context of Is. 45:7
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 16:32:15 -0400

At 03:08 PM 7/31/03 -0500, you wrote:

>The reason I started reading Tenakh in Hebrew was because of words like
that: archaic and no longer understood.

Understood, but not by some.

>I translate Is. 45:7 thusly, "Former of light and creator of darkness,
maker of fullness and creator of displeasure, I am YHWH the one who makes
all of these."

I don't understand fully how you render r'a as "displeasure". Is it
contextually accurate? Further, what other occurences of r'a would merit
such a rendering? "evil" or "wickedness" seem to be the standard
understanding and are a tad more forceful, it seems to me, than
"displeasure" which sort of sounds like a softening of meaning based on a
theological preconception about God.

Best

Jim

Jim West