b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Job 12:16 interpreted in context of Is. 45:7

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "J. Raymond Kelley" <jraykelley AT prodigy.net>
  • To: Karl Randolph <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • Cc: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Job 12:16 interpreted in context of Is. 45:7
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 13:32:49 -0700

Far be it from me, one who lurks because I enjoy the discourse of learned men, to offer the following comment, but, Karl, doesn't your explanation just reflect another usage that someone coudl criticize much in the manner that Peter did. I mean, come on, I know that you (and even I) have a concept of "fullness", but really, who uses fullness in a sentence these days.

My immediate reaction to this exchange, which reaction started with Peter's comment about using words he's comfortable with using, was at the level where suddenly Paul Simon's chords starting in the back of my mind and I immediately thought (because for some reason my mind does head for rhyme for reasons I don't understand) ...

So we talk of depth of meaning
in words we ever change
and we write in criticism
that it's others who think strange

Ray (back to my quiet corner of the cave) Kelley

Karl Randolph wrote:

“Weal and woe” what do they mean?

At least in Isaiah 45:7 I have a clue, weal stands for $LWM “fullness” and
woe for R( “displeasing (things)” (the opposite of +WB “pleasing (things)”)

The reason I started reading Tenakh in Hebrew was because of words like that:
archaic and no longer understood.

I translate Is. 45:7 thusly, “Former of light and creator of darkness, maker
of fullness and creator of displeasure, I am YHWH the one who makes all of
these.”

Karl W. Randolph.