b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Job 12:16

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peter.r.kirk AT ntlworld.com>
  • To: Jim West <jwest AT highland.net>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Job 12:16
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 13:05:43 -0700

On 31/07/2003 12:47, Jim West wrote:

At 12:22 PM 7/31/03 -0700, you wrote:

On 31/07/2003 10:44, Jim West wrote:

No, I don't recall it. There is nothing in my Bible about God making red marks on my skin. This isn't even in KJV. What is it, Wyclif? What do you mean? Please use English or Hebrew, not some obsolete form of English which I don't understand.

what are these red marks? do you by chance mean something like welts? and
i cant help what you dont understand.

but, re the notion that God brings trouble into the world- take a look at
the following brief examples:

Is 24:1,
Is 45:7 (where God says- I create evil) (hmmmmmm.....)
Jer 13:16
Jer 18:11
etc....

Im sure, Peter, if you try you may even be able to find some of these sorts
of texts on your own- unless your welts hinder you.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Jim West
Quartz Hill School of Theology
Adjunct Professor of Biblical Studies

Biblical Studies Resources
http://web.infoave.net/~jwest

See http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/weal: from the WordNet dictionary, "weal" is defined as only "[n] a <http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/a> raised <http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/raised> mark <http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/mark> on <http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/on> the <http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/the> skin <http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/skin> (as <http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/as> produced <http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/produced> by <http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/by> the <http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/the> blow <http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/blow> of <http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/of> a <http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/a> whip <http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/whip>); characteristic <http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/characteristic> of <http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/of> many <http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/many> allergic <http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/allergic> reactions <http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/reactions>", with "welt" as a synonym. Webster's 1913 dictionary gives as its third meaning "

A <http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/a> sound <http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/sound>, healthy
<http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/healthy>, or <http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/or> prosperous
<http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/prosperous> state <http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/state> of
<http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/of> a <http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/a> person
<http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/person> or <http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/or>
thing <http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/thing>; prosperity
<http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/prosperity>; happiness
<http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/happiness>; welfare
<http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/welfare>.

", and quotes Milton: "To him linked in weal or woe". I wasn't aware before that the Bible quotes Milton ;-)

And yes, if I had known this was RSV I could have found the reference. Or I could have searched the dozen or more translations on my computer. Mind you, I wouldn't have found it if I was looking for a psalm as suggested!

--
Peter Kirk
peter.r.kirk AT ntlworld.com