b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] Job 12:16

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Paul Zellmer" <paul AT smcfm.org>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] Job 12:16
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 15:06:30 -0400

Dean,

The basic words here (they actually come from two different roots, although
they might be related) are close synonyms. Both refer to unintentional
sins, errors.

$GG is also found in Leviticus 5:18 "his error in which he sinned
unintentionally" [NASB], Numbers 15:28 "for the person who goes astray when
he sins unintentionally" [NASB], Psalms 119:67 "I went astray" [NASB].
Although I can understand how "deceiver" can be the translation, and
although many of the translations continue with the KJV tradition that
popularized this translation, I tend to prefer the NASB use of "misled."

$GH is used some 25 times in the HB, with the sense of acts done in
ignorance. Four of these (including the one in Job 12:16) are causative in
aspect. It is also used to describe the wandering of sheep in Ezekiel 34:6.
TWOT adds this note: "The Scripture pinpoints at least three causes for such
wandering. The first is wine and strong drink (Isa 28:7; Prov 20:1). The
second is the seductive strange woman (Prov 5:20, 23) versus the love of
one's wife, which ought to 'captivate' one (Prov 5:19). The third is the
inability to reject evil instruction (Prov 19:27). Only Saul in the OT
admits culpability at this point (I Sam 26:21)."

I think your musings go a bit astray when you bring Satan into the picture
in this verse of Job's defensive soliloquy. I'm not seeing this as being
even in the remotest parts of Job's thinking. The whole section of this
chapter is referring to the pre-emininence of God in all aspects of
creation. So, of course, both the ones who unintentionally sin (something
that Job is apparently willing to accept, based on verses like Job 6:24 and
19:4) and the one who causes someone to unintentionally sin are under God's
power and domain. That does not mean that God is necessarily exercising
that power, but the potential for His direction and control is there. And
even though I do not see Satan as being in Job's mind in this passage, even
he is under the same control, as is seen by the need to have permissions
given to him to afflict Job in Job 1.

Hope this helps,

Paul Zellmer