b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] organic language learning

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] organic language learning
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2003 02:25:59 -0500

In learning multiple modern languages, I analysed how I was learning them,
then tried to learn BH the same way.

When I lived in Europe, I had the radio on to a local station in the
background. At first I’d understand very little, but gradually I understood
more and more.

Secondly, I think grammatical analysis is overrated. I doubt that native
speakers 3000 years ago could give a detailed analysis of their speach as
modern grammarians like to give. Even modern speakers for the most part
cannot give that sort of analysis to their native tongues. They just speak
“How is sounds right.”

Thirdly, unconsciously, people memorize phrases, sometimes complete
sentences, to aid in learning “to speak correctly”. Further, when people make
mistakes when speaking, they tend to memorize how to say it correctly.

Fourthly, acquisition of vocabulary is more important than learning nuances
of grammar. One thing that helps in learning vocabulary is comparing and
contrasting new words with synonyms and antonyms and seeing how they differ.

Knowing that I learn languages in this manner, I then tell others the same
list when they want to learn English. I suspect that most people learned
their “mother tongue” in the same way.

In learning an ancient language, the first step, having the language spoken
in the background is not an option.

If I were to design a curriculum to learn BH, I would start with teaching
people the phonetic values of the letters. Next I’d teach the basics of
grammar with enough vocabulary to illustrate it. Then I’d have them start
reading Genesis out loud. I would tell them not to worry about understanding
everything perfectly the first time through. If a verse has one stumped, go
on to the next. By the time the student reads the verse the next time
through, he may have the answer to its meaning. Finally, I’d assign verses,
passages and even chapters for the students to memorize. While the
memorization for learning languages is largely unconscious, I could choose
verses that illustrate principles covered in class.

My whole goal would be to get the students to internalize the sounds,
cadances, vocabulary and grammar, of BH.

I’m glad the “Joash Stone” was shown to be a fake. When I first read it, the
cadances didn’t seem right, some of the words jarred me as being
inappropriate and some of the letters looked wrong. It violated how I had
previously internalized BH. I couldn’t give a detailed description how they
were wrong, just that they were. I was wondering if and how I would have to
integrate that into what I knew, now I don’t have to.

I wonder about the value of learning IH to read BH. The two are different
languages. The grammar is different, the cadances are different, even many
words have different meanings. It’s like a Swede trying to understand a Dane,
or a German trying to understand Dutch: the languages are recognizeably
cognate languages and one can often get the gist of what’s said, but then
maybe not.

Karl W. Randolph.