b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Basic question on Qal, Piel, and Pual

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <Yigal-Levin AT utc.edu>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Basic question on Qal, Piel, and Pual
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 16:33:10 -0400

Hi Waldo,

When I first learned Akkadian, we used transliteration first, and then went
on to cuneiform. The idea was, that we should first get a feel for the
language, grammar etc. through a medium that we would feel comfortable. We
also learned that Akkadien has two dialects - German and American. In other
words, EVERYTHING that we learn about a dead language is reconstructed, as
best as scholars are able.
In the case of Hebrew, any attempt to understand the "biblical" text
"as-is" would be a reconstruction of its own. We have very little
"internal" evidence of the difference between Qal and Piel. In fact,
remember that even the consonantal text that we have is the product of
later transmission - we just don't have the "untouched" original text.
However in the case of Hebrew, we do have a tradition of pronunciation
going back 1500 years, much closer to the source than we are. To me, this
is the obvious place to start. Once we learn what the Masoretes had to tell
us about the text, we can then also reasonably question them.

Yigal