b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Basic question on Qal, Piel, and Pual

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: SDBIBLESTUDY AT aol.com
  • To: waldoslusher AT yahoo.com, b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Basic question on Qal, Piel, and Pual
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 12:09:14 EDT

In a message dated 7/22/2003 4:47:46 PM W. Central Africa Standard T,
waldoslusher AT yahoo.com writes:

> It seems to me that these verb stems have the same
> consonantal FORMS, meaning that in ancient Hebrew (OT
> times), they were the same in FORM (since no vowel
> points were used) but different in FUNCTION. Is that
> correct?

Sometimes that is true....there are a few words that fit both Pa'al and Pi'el
as far as spelling goes and yet mean very different things. But I am not
familiar with too many texts that are not evident from context.
Although....MLQ...melech....molech....the word for King, or the word for a
foreign god named
Molech...can sometimes be confused....one such text might be Isaiah 30:33,
among others.

Jeff Fisher
Tel Aviv