b-hebrew - Re: Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew with Aramaic, Phoenician etc in scholarlypublications

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew with Aramaic, Phoenician etc in scholarlypublications
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2003 21:26:40 -0500

Peter:

I recognize that what I'm suggesting here has a limited use, namely for
inscriptions, ostraca and a reconstruction of how Tenakh would have been
written
before the adoption of the Aramaic square characters. I have no intention of
replacing the Masoritic text with all its points and cantilation marks. I
claim that
there is room for both.

If all one wants to do is to display the paleo-Hebrew text to the screen and
printer,
then one can do as what previous posts mentioned even as I have already done,
namely give glyphs only to the displayed characters, the sofits having the
same
glyphs as the non-sofits and don't worry about the underlying encoding. But
there
is also reason to encode the text cleanly in paleo-Hebrew/Phoenician. Let's
not
limit ourselves to one or the other.

Karl W. Randolph.