b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Re: Phoenician alphabet

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Re: Phoenician alphabet
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2003 20:27:01 -0500

Ken,

The earliest alphabetic inscriptions were from that time period, however,
their
glyphs were very different from paleo-Hebrew or Phoenician. However, it is my
understanding that the Phoenician writing does not show a transition from
that
very ancient writing to the glyphs with which we are familiar, while Hebrew
history
has the Hebrews having spent time in the area where such inscriptions have
been
found, then a period of time during which we have found no inscriptions but
occasional references to writing (in other words, no transitional forms there
either)
then the earliest examples where both Phoenician and paleo-Hebrew have the
glyphs that we can recognize as antecedant to Greek and Latin. Others correct
me if I am wrong, but I understand that the Phoenicians used cuneiform at the
time
tradition says Moses was writing the Torah using the alphabet.

Karl W. Randolph.