b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew with Aramaic, Phoenician etc in scholarly publications

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peter.r.kirk AT ntlworld.com>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew with Aramaic, Phoenician etc in scholarly publications
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 09:31:30 -0700

On 16/07/2003 08:47, Trevor Peterson wrote:

===== Original Message From Peter Kirk <peter.r.kirk AT ntlworld.com> =====
But the question I asked was not what we think should be done, but what
actually is done, or perhaps what would be done apart from purely
mechanical typographical restrictions.

And that's the only reason that I resurrected the issue--because I think we're emerging from a set of constraints that have just recently been removed, and it's hard to say which way things are going to go. As far as noting the comparative data in a dictionary is concerned, my perspective is that gobbledygook in transcription is still gobbledygook. If a person doesn't know Ethiopic, an Ethiopic citation is not going to be terribly useful, whether it's transcribed or not.

I disagree. It can be very useful to our understanding of Hebrew to see its relation with cognate languages, where loan words come from etc. Our recent discussion on this list of the background of SARIS would have been impossible, for me and for most of us on the list, if the related Akkadian forms had been given in KB/HALOT etc in cuneiform - even if this list could handle cuneiform. Not sure if the list software can handle Ethiopic, well here's a sample ሀሁሂሃሄ, but even if it can that's not a reason to use it as most of us can't read it.

--
Peter Kirk
peter.r.kirk AT ntlworld.com