b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew with Aramaic, Phoenician etc in scholarly publications

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peter.r.kirk AT ntlworld.com>
  • To: Trevor & Julie Peterson <06peterson AT cua.edu>
  • Cc: 'Biblical Hebrew' <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew with Aramaic, Phoenician etc in scholarly publications
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 03:16:02 -0700

On 16/07/2003 02:51, Trevor & Julie Peterson wrote:

Peter wrote:

So, my question at last is: Are there scholarly publications (more
recent than BDB!) which quote inscriptional Aramaic, Phoenician,
Samaritan, paleo-Hebrew etc as well as Hebrew? In such cases, what
scripts are used for Aramaic, Phoenician etc? BDB (1906) quoted these
and even south Arabian inscriptions in Hebrew script. But what is the
modern practice? Are ancient alphabets (other than Hebrew, Arabic,
Syriac etc which are in modern use) ever used in such publications?

Are

these languages ever transcribed in Hebrew script, or only in Latin
script transliteration? I am interested in practice in Israeli

journals

in modern Hebrew as well as in journals in western languages.

As far as I know, they are normally transcribed in Latin or Hebrew
letters. There may be some need for Samaritan as its own script, but
generally speaking the epigraphic scripts are better hand-drawn where
necessary. BTW, has there been any talk about introducing non-Tiberian
vowel points for Hebrew and Aramaic? I'm thinking particularly of the
Babylonian pointing system.

Trevor Peterson
CUA/Semitics

Thanks for the quick reply. May I pass this on to the Unicode list? I needn't include your name if you prefer. I could just call you a PhD candidate in Semitics at a major US university, if that is accurate.

Someone has been working on a proposal for the Babylonian and other non-Tiberian vowel points, but progress has been slow or non-existent. Probably more expert help is needed, which you, Trevor, might be able to give. I could put you in touch with the intending proposer, off list. Mind you, the Aramaic, Phoenician etc outline proposals have not been progressing for several years either, but they are in the queue and the roadmap so a little ahead of the Babylonian etc pointing. But it is the kind of queue which can be jumped quite easily if anyone wants to put in the necessary effort e.g. to draft a formal proposal and to gather some scholarly and technial support. The proposals that languish are ones which are put forward for completeness rather than usefulness.

--
Peter Kirk
peter.r.kirk AT ntlworld.com