b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Which of the two?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peter.r.kirk AT ntlworld.com>
  • To: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Which of the two?
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 12:04:26 -0700

On 15/07/2003 11:56, Karl Randolph wrote:

Dear Yigal:

After reading several verses where the text made better sense using different
dots than what the Masorites inserted, I started reading an unpointed text.
Therefore in this question, an unpointed text supports a plural reading as
well as singular, and the plural fits the context better.

In the face of what I think is overwhelming contextual evidence that “my
servants” should be read as plural, does anyone have any clue why the
Masorites made this a singular?

Karl W. Randolph.

Don't blame the Masoretes. LXX has a singular here, many centuries before the Masoretes. Presumably this was the reading tradition from an early date. By ignoring the Masoretic pointing you are ignoring this very ancient reading tradition, one which may go back to the original authors.

--
Peter Kirk
peter.r.kirk AT ntlworld.com