b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] ALEF-LAMED combo

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peter.r.kirk AT ntlworld.com>
  • To: shaih AT post.tau.ac.il
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org, Peter Constable <peter_constable AT SIL.ORG>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] ALEF-LAMED combo
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 07:43:43 -0700

On 10/07/2003 07:28, shaih AT post.tau.ac.il wrote:

Yigal,

Shai, is the combo where each letter has its own vowel?

the geniza fragments i am looking at (talmud) are almost never puncutated, but
if i'll see something i'll write it down.

by the way, most of these ligatures are at the end: isra'el, ishma'el etc., so
there is need for double punctuation. but in "elohim" i think there is both a
hataf-segol and a holam (at least from the printed editions i can remember).

regards,

shai

I would be very interested in any specific examples with double vowel pointing - and especially if they are in non-biblical texts. I am helping to collect data on Hebrew usage of multiple vowel points on single base letters, in relation to a Unicode proposal. If you or anyone on the list has such examples, in relation to any base letters, please let me know.

--
Peter Kirk
peter.r.kirk AT ntlworld.com