b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] ALEF-LAMED combo

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <Yigal-Levin AT utc.edu>
  • To: <deborahmillier AT yahoo.com>, b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] ALEF-LAMED combo
  • Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2003 09:38:42 -0400

Hi Deborah (or Michael or both),

Yes, combining the Aleph and Lamed used to be standard practice in many
Hebrew humashim (printed Torah volumes) and siddurim (prayer books). I
understand that it was both a space-saving measure and in order to avoid
printing the sacred name El (similar to using two Yods instead of YHWH). I
have a feeling that it might have been influenced by the way Arabic
combines the same letters (in the opposite order). The practice has been
dropped by modern priters, but is still found in what you called "cheapy"
books, which are usually photocopies of old prints.

Yigal