b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Re: Unicode Hebrew fonts, was: Transliteration Schemes

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dr. Reinhard G.Lehmann" <lehmann AT mail.uni-mainz.de>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Re: Unicode Hebrew fonts, was: Transliteration Schemes
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 14:17:40 +0100

> Well, if there is a consensus apart from me not to use
> transliteration...

Well, as far as I'm concerned, there is no consensus not to use
transliteration, and as good as unicode may be, I also do not want it to be
used in a academic
mailing list.

In my opinion transliteration is still the best way to discuss Biblical /
Classical Hebrew (and Biblical Aramaic, and maybe Hebrew inscriptions?).
Please keep
in mind that there might be a discussion about ancient pronouciation of
Hebrew, or comparison with certain neighboring dialects also in this list.
And what
will you do with Hebrew AYIN when it derives from old GHAYIN (see Greek
GAMMA)? Or what about Hebrew ZAYIN / Aramaic DALET, deriving from old
nw-Semitic DHA
(compare zahab / dhab "Gold")? Include Arabic fonts?

In my opinion it is more important to have a good tranliteration scheme that
fits in all semitic consonantal phonemes.

Reinhard

Dr. Reinhard G. Lehmann
Forschungsstelle für Althebräische Sprache
Fachbereich 02 Evangelische Theologie
Johannes Gutenberg-Universität Mainz
D - 55099 Mainz
tel: (+49) 6131 - 39 23284
mailto: lehmann AT mail.uni-mainz.de
http home: www.uni-mainz.de/~lehmann/
look at: http://www.uni-mainz.de/~lehmann/link.html
look at: http://www.uni-mainz.de/~lehmann/KUSATU-dframe.html

  • [b-hebrew] Re: Unicode Hebrew fonts, was: Transliteration Schemes, Dr. Reinhard G.Lehmann, 01/21/2003