b-hebrew - RE: "Non-Academic" Original Languages?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Clayton Javurek <javurek AT asu.edu>
  • To: 'Mark Wessner' <mark AT wessner.ca>, Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: "Non-Academic" Original Languages?
  • Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 09:38:59 -0700

Title: RE: [b-hebrew] RE: "Non-Academic" Original Languages?

Clayton Javurek
E-MAIL: javurek AT asu.edu

What is the scary part of learning a new language?...it is all
that required memorization and recognition. Using an interlinear text
and an analytical lexicon minimizes the fear of all the memorization.

So I say this emphatically: if you require significant amounts of
memorization, no matter how you present it, you will scare
off your students. To attract students, you must significantly
reduce all the memorization required.

Any approach which does not significantly reduce memorization
is doomed to be extremely unpopular...no doubt about it.