b-hebrew - RE: Song of songs commentaries

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Johannes Hellberg <j.hellberg AT forsfak.been.o.se>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Song of songs commentaries
  • Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 10:33:45 +0100

I have not studied it thoroughly myself, but got it recommended by
colleagues. It is Murphy in the Hermeneia series (Fortress Press,
Minneapolis 1990). The Hermeneia series has got a good reputation as far as
I know.
He states that "the Hebrew Bible provides a coherent framework within which
one can interpret the Song as expressing a theology of human sexuality".

The commentary includes 100 pages of introduction and 100 pages of textual
commentary.

Roland . Murphy is a catholic scholar (O. Carm.).

Johannes Hellberg