b-hebrew - RE: FW: Song of songs commentaries

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Penner" <pennerkm AT mcmaster.ca>
  • To: "'Biblical Hebrew'" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>, "'Peter Kirk'" <Peter_R_Kirk AT hotmail.com>
  • Subject: RE: FW: Song of songs commentaries
  • Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 15:25:21 -0500

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Marvin Pope's Anchor Bible commentary
(Doubleday, 1977), but I guess everybody's busy at SBL. Tremper Longman
called it "one of the best commentaries written on any book of the
Bible", with a 5-star rating. He connects the book with the love and
death cults of the ancient world, but that's not the strength of the
commentary. I suppose I'd call it "liberal", but I'm not sure what that
means any more. Pope does a good job of summarizing other viewpoints.

Ken Penner, M.C.S. (Biblical Languages, Greek Focus), M.A. (Hebrew
Poetry)
Ph.D. Student, McMaster University
pennerkm AT mcmaster.ca
Flash! Pro: http://socserv.socsci.mcmaster.ca/westerholm/flash or