b-hebrew - RE: Gap between Genesis 1:1 and 1:2

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Me" <mc2499 AT mclink.it>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Gap between Genesis 1:1 and 1:2
  • Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2002 01:12:56 +0100

> As a rule I agree, though the verbal links to Genesis 1:1 in Genesis 2:4
> (Heaven, earth, create, God) suggests in this case it both concludes the
> previous section and introduces then new one at the same time.

A more probable explanation *in my eyes*, working on the notion
that texts are often developmental, is that Gen 1:1 was written
with Gen 2:4 in mind (just as Jn 1:1 was written with Gen 1:1 and
the whole creation cycle including wisdom's presence at the
beginning in mind). Using such an analysis we have no need to
postulate anything special for the particular toledot.

Ian

Ian Hutchesson
mc2499(at)mclink.it