b-hebrew - Re: Balaam's Kittim Oracle

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Banyai Michael" <banyai AT t-online.de>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Balaam's Kittim Oracle
  • Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2002 08:08:11 -0400

Hallo Walter,

the identification of Kittim with Qode is not my 100%, serves as a
plausible example, but Enkomi-Alasia was abandoned cca. 1050 BC maybe in
favour of Salamis. Thus if we had the equation Alasia=Elisha, Kition
different of Kittim, we get a period pre-1050 for this part of the list of
Genesis.

This corresponds the real-political partition of this part of the world
cca. 1050 (simultaneously with the Balaam reference), among independent
coastal or island-states in South-Anatolia. Inland powers with access to
the Mediteranean are listed separately of "Jaman". The header Jaman could
be either contemporary with the creation of the list (see the appearence
of the toponym in Ugaritic documents, thus in the said region) or later as
most of these countries came under Greek rule.

A decision over Jaman is impossible.

All the best,

Bányai mIchael