b-hebrew - Re: Iron and Bronze. The tribe of Dan

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Banyai AT t-online.de (Michael Banyai)
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew List" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Iron and Bronze. The tribe of Dan
  • Date: 18 Sep 2002 18:31 GMT

Dear Yigal,

nothing against theories, even if their argumentation is more than wondrous,

but what are you than doing with the occurence of Shiloh in the text of
Gen.49:10?

> So the assertion that Dan WILL judge "as one of the tribes of Israel",
> reflects a hope that one day the "whole" 12-tribe nation of Israel will be
> restored, including a tribe like Dan, which seems to have disappeared from
> the map of Israel. This would probably mean that the "blessing" was
> composed sometime between the time of Solomon and the post-exilic period
> (very specific, right?).

Shiloh has according to Finkelstein disappeared long before the time of
Solomon, even if we record the biblical figure of the prophet Ahijah of
Shiloh in the late years of Solomon/ early Jerobeam.

Would you expand about this division of the text between the predavidic
period and postsolomonic times?

I don´t see here any evidence in favour of the exposed theory, still less
having been recognised(I may err here), but rather an apodictic statement
about what this Dan occurence might reflect.

Best regards,

Michael Bányai