b-hebrew - Re: Iron and Bronze. The tribe of Dan

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "David Stabnow" <dstabno AT lifeway.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Iron and Bronze. The tribe of Dan
  • Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 07:41:14 -0500

Ian Hutchesson wrote:

Although you said that you were "interpreting
the text as the text reads", I see no way to go
from k'xd $b+y y$r'l ("as a tribe of Israel") to
the interpretation you supply ("according to the
Torah"), hence my statement about eisegesis.
Perhaps you could supply the linguistics to get
to your interpretation from the text itself.

DKS: You're right, of course. I should have stopped with the understanding
that Jacob was predicting/prophesying that Dan would judge in accordance
with the norms of the tribes of Israel, or that Dan would judge in a manner
comparable to a tribe of Israel. Both are linguistically possible. Either
or both could have been understood by Jacob's original audience. Only in
hindsight can we interpret that "in accordance with the norms of the tribes
of Israel" is equivalent to "by the Torah." Jacob's audience would not
have known that.

Dave Stabnow
Bible Translation Editor
Broadman & Holman Publishers
Nashville, Tennessee
615-251-5851
david.stabnow AT lifeway.com

Therefore, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do,
do everything for God's glory. (1 Cor 10:31, HCSB)