b-hebrew - RE: Goals for an OT Intro course:

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Trevor Peterson <06PETERSON AT cua.edu>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Goals for an OT Intro course:
  • Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 14:32:43 -0400

>===== Original Message From Dave Washburn <dwashbur AT nyx.net> =====
>Actually, in addition to what Trevor suggested, a lot of publishers will
>offer examination copies of their books to profs who are considering
>possible textbooks. In most cases you can request one either by
>snail mail or by the publisher's web site. All you have to do is
>request an examination copy and give them the course number that
>you're considering using the book for. At this late date there's
>probably not time to do that for this semester (or whatever term your
>school uses), but it might be something to look into for future course
>offerings. And if you're anything like the rest of us, you'll never pass
>up a free book ;-)

Yes, I meant but forgot to mention that. What you do need to watch for is
that
most publishers want you to actually use their book! So they often do
something like give you the book on a 90-day trial, at which point you return
it, buy it at a discount, or get your bookstore to place an order for a
minimum number of copies and keep your copy for free. The policies vary a
little bit from publisher to publisher, so you just need to make sure you
find
out how it works. The danger, of course, is that some unscrupulous profs will
choose required textbooks based on what they want to add to their own
library.
(I've actually known one who did this--he would require expensive reference
books for his classes so he could get a free copy for himself.) I think most
publishers now have info. on ordering review/desk copies somewhere on their
Web sites.

Trevor Peterson
CUA/Semitics