b-hebrew - Re: Goals for an OT Intro course:

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dave Washburn" <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Goals for an OT Intro course:
  • Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 10:20:15 -0600

Liz,
Three books come immediately to my mind: Sam Schultz' "The Old
Testament Speaks" is an "oldie but a goodie" from a fairly
conservative viewpoint; John Bright's "History of Israel" is more
critical and newer editions have kept fairly current with recent
discoveries, but it's a little ponderous to sit down and read; LaSor,
Hubbard and Bush, "Old Testament Survey" is a good overview of
both critical views and basic survey of the contents, and would
probably be my first choice for a course of the type you're
describing.

> > That's why I'd
> > personally try to zero in on one or two major objectives, and
> > that might make
> > it easier to pick a textbook.
> > Trevor Peterson
> > CUA/Semitics
>
> My objectives are twofold:
> 1) I want them to learn how to read what is
> written, and not what they THINK is written,
> i.e., to read critically.
> and
> 2) to see the Hebrew Bible as a product of the
> ancient Near East.
>
> I'm planning on reading the Bible and supplementing
> it with Matthew and Benjamin's _Old Testament Parallels_.
> But it might be good for them to have a textbook as well.
> I was thinking of Miller and Hayes, but it's old now, the one
> I have, anyway.
> Liz

Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur