b-hebrew - RE: Intro textbook to OT?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Trevor Peterson <06PETERSON AT cua.edu>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Intro textbook to OT?
  • Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 11:46:47 -0400

>===== Original Message From "Lisbeth S. Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu> =====
>> (critical approaches, authorship, date, canonicity, etc.), or
>> something more
>> generally introducing students to the Old Testament?
>
>Um, uh, hmmm.
>I'd love the former, but probably the latter.

To my mind, that's a lot harder to address with one book. Do you have an idea
yet of what you want to prioritize in the class? Will you be focusing on
interpretive method? Literary approaches? Historical issues? Theology? You'll
probably want to cover a little of everything if possible, but if that's all
you do, I wonder how much the students will really gain. That's why I'd
personally try to zero in on one or two major objectives, and that might make
it easier to pick a textbook. (Again, I'm not saying I have good suggestions
either way--just thinking about the process I'd go through in trying to find
something.) I've been mercifully spared having to cram everything you ever
wanted to know about the OT into one semester, but even a course like
Prophetic Books or Historical Books always left me feeling like I'd hardly
had
a chance to give them anything useful.

Trevor Peterson
CUA/Semitics