b-hebrew - RE: Ps 102 "you are he"

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Trevor & Julie Peterson" <06peterson AT cua.edu>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Ps 102 "you are he"
  • Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 16:30:06 -0400

Bill wrote:

> 26 They shall perish, but thou shalt endure:
> yea, all of them shall wax old like a garment;
> as a vesture shalt thou change them, and they shall be changed: {endure:
> Heb. stand}
>
> THE RESPONSE
> 27 But thou art the same, and thy years shall have no end.

I would expect this verse to be part of what's said in v. 26. The language
(indep. pronouns, especially) tends to accentuate the contrasts

They You
perish endure
wax old art the same

To put a different speaker in v. 27 seems fishy to me.

> SUMMARY
> 28 The children of thy servants shall continue, and their seed shall be
> established before thee.

V. 28 as an extension of v. 27 also makes sense to me. Just as v. 26 follows
"wax old" with two similar predications, so does v. 28 with the contrasting
statement in v. 27.

Trevor Peterson
CUA/Semitics