b-hebrew - RE: Ps 102 "you are he"

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "David Stabnow" <dstabno AT lifeway.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: RE: Ps 102 "you are he"
  • Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 13:15:59 -0500

I would like to add a correction and a comment.

I said that the writer of Hebrews translated it, "You are the same."
Actually, the Greek (su de (o autos), like the Hebrew, could also be
translated into English as "You are He." The rendering "You are the same"
is an interpretation in the English translation.

Regarding the possibility that it is some kind of important confession, see
Deut 32:39 "See now that I, I am He, and there is no other." It would
defeat the purpose of the argument here to translate "I am the same."
Likewise, in other cases where there is no "object" following, it would fit
better to translate the phrase "I am He" (or, with the second person
pronoun, "You are He"). Even when there is an object, as in 2 Sam 7:28
)TH-HW) H)LHYM, it could be taken as the confession followed by an
appositive, "You are He: God!"

Dave Stabnow
Bible Translation Editor
Broadman & Holman Publishers
Nashville, Tennessee
615-251-5851
david.stabnow AT lifeway.com

Therefore, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do,
do everything for God's glory. (1 Cor 10:31, HCSB)