b-hebrew - RE: h'lhym

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "'Biblical Hebrew'" <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: h'lhym
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 13:53:30 +0200

Has this data also been vetted to exclude reference to ELOHIM in the
construct state or with a personal suffix, where the definite article is
impossible? Also, are these only references to the God of Israel or do
they include references to other divinities?

The raw data certainly shows a decided shift from ELOHIM towards
HA'ELOHIM in prose (not in poetry, except perhaps Ecclesiastes) in the
books traditionally considered post-exilic. There is some sign of the
shift in the later pre-exilic prose books (according to traditional
ideas) e.g. 2 Kings. Of course the reason for this shift could be either
religious or linguistic, so on its own it doesn't tell us much.

I suppose that Esther has none of any of these forms and was omitted
from your table for that reason.

Peter Kirk