b-hebrew - RE: Preterite and Imperfect

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "'Biblical Hebrew'" <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Preterite and Imperfect
  • Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 18:44:24 +0100

Trevor, are there actually any cases which don't fit the following
formula?

Waw-patah-consonant-dagesh... = preterite
Waw-qamets-aleph... = preterite (qamets is compensatory lengthening)
Waw-patah-aleph... = imperfect
Waw-schwa/hireq... = imperfect

I guess there may be a handful of textually dubious cases and ones where
the Masoretes are suspected of making a mistake. But are there actually
any regular forms which don't fit this?

In answer to my own questions: the only counter-examples I can find in
the Westminster database are:

Imperfects:
Gen 31:27 WF75/):A$AL."X/:AKF91
Ps 119:73 WA75/Y:KOWN:N92W./NIY

Preterites:
Num 22:6 WA/):AGFR:$/E73N.W.
Dt 31:14 WA/):ACAW./E92N.W.
1Sa 1:10 WA/):AMO74T:T/"80HW.
Isa 43:28 WA/):AXAL."73L
Isa 57:18 WA/):A$AL."94M
Ezk 16:10 WA/):AKAS./"73K:
Dan 11:11 W:/YIT:MAR:MAR03
Zec 8:10 WA/):A$AL.A71X

I don't understand why these several WA):A- forms are marked as
preterite (wayyiqtol, waw consecutive) rather than imperfect. Is there a
morphological reason, or only a contextual one? Or are these in fact
errors in the WTS database?

Peter Kirk