b-hebrew - RE: Et (Genesis 1:1)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "'Biblical Hebrew'" <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Et (Genesis 1:1)
  • Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 12:43:53 +0100

It is interesting to note that both Persian (Indo-European) and Turkish
(Turkic) have special marking for the accusative which is used only when
this is definite. In Turkish this is a suffix, in Persian a separate
particle RA which follows the noun. Persian RA is rather like Hebrew 'ET
in that it can also mark the nominative under certain circumstances i.e.
it can act more like a pragmatic focus marker than a grammatical object
mark.

Peter Kirk