b-hebrew - Re: Et (Genesis 1:1)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Polycarp66 AT aol.com
  • To: danserve4x AT yahoo.com, b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Et (Genesis 1:1)
  • Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 10:24:59 EDT

In a message dated 5/22/2002 9:59:03 AM Eastern Daylight Time, danserve4x AT yahoo.com writes:

I recently purchased a Hebrew Bible and began to peruse it, starting at
the beginning.  I recognized most of the words in Genesis 1:1 and I now
understand each except for the word "et" that appears to be used twice,
once by itself and the second time with a vav prefix, I assume indicating
the "and."  My question is this:  what is the function of this word?  It
doesn't seem to me to have any word-for-word correspondence with the
English translations, so what is the idea behind it?

)"T is simply the sign of the accusative or object of the verb in this verse.  It can function as a preposition meaning "with" (though some might claim that it is a totally different word).

GfSomsel