b-hebrew - RE: The Natural Approach toTeaching BH, Randy

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Trevor & Julie Peterson" <06peterson AT cua.edu>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: The Natural Approach toTeaching BH, Randy
  • Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 05:39:00 -0400

A thought that I just had, too, is that this program does not last forever,
and that may be a good thing. Sure, there is the chance that some mistakes
will be made in getting all the ins and outs of the language exactly right.
But for a student who spends a while in the program, then goes on to read
actual BH for the rest of their life like anyone else, there is a corrective
process. The point is to parallel natural language learning. Well, what
happens with children? They learn their native tongue "by osmosis," then
they spend a dozen years or so refining that knowledge through classroom
instruction, learning rules, correcting errors, improving style, etc. The
process doesn't have to end even there, if the student develops sensitivity
to the relevant issues and continues to learn by reading. So, worst-case
scenario, Randall is the hillbilly parent teaching his kids to communicate
effectively in the language. Even if it takes a while to re-work the rough
edges, they're still better off than never having learned to speak at all.

Trevor Peterson
CUA/Semitics