b-hebrew - Introduction to Hebrew.

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Ian Goldsmith <iangoldsmith1969 AT yahoo.co.uk>
  • To: b- hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Introduction to Hebrew.
  • Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 11:48:25 +0100 (BST)

Dear fellow list members.

I have recently had the pleasure of viewing a new book
in the Hebrew study arena by one of our own list
members, Dr. Charles David Isbell. May I commend it to
you with a few words.

Charles has written an 'Introduction to Biblical
Hebrew' and is the product of over thirty years of his
experience in teaching the subject. He hasn't packed
it out with a seemingly insurmountable mountain of
data to depress the poor potential student with.
Neither however is it a 'lightweight' work, it is
indeed well planned out and definitely instils in the
reader his aim of 'a sense of accomplishment'.
Charles leads the student through the book in a
refreshingly practical yet thoughtful and well planned
out manner.

Many grammars have specific applications when the
reader is familiar with them. The problem is you often
need to buy them all before you can assess which one
you want to carry in your bag. Having read most and
had to work through some of the older classic
grammars, it is pleasure for me to honestly say that I
wish I'd had this book many years ago!

If you want an introduction to Biblical Hebrew that
covers grammar and syntax and applies them to the
bible texts, then this one is well worth considering.
It is very ably written and eminently practical in its
application.

Well done Charles! You're bound to be embarrassed by
my saying so, but I believe new students may in the
future come to regard this one as a bit of a classic!

Many thanks.

=====
Ian Goldsmith.
England.

Dibrah Torah kilshone bnei-adam
'The Torah spoke in the language of ordinary men.'
Berakot 31b