b-hebrew - RE: OFF TOPIC Modern Hebrew question

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lisbeth S. Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: OFF TOPIC Modern Hebrew question
  • Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 10:55:29 -0400

I'd like to piggy-back on Jim's remark.
I was turned down for two jobs because I
could not conduct Bible classes in modern Hebrew!
I asked one dept chair why that would be necessary,
and she asked me in return how anyone would consider
teaching Shakespear in Russian!.
Well, goodness. I hope people are teaching Shakespear
in Russian. Students should certainly read the text in
the original, but the class could definitely be conducted
in Russian. How would teaching it in modern English
facilitate learning any more than teaching it in Russian????
Grrr.
Liz