b-hebrew - Re: Psalm 73:1

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Bill Burks <rwburks AT flash.net>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Psalm 73:1
  • Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 19:35:46 -0500

Ian,

I believe the BHS addresses this as ""It has been proposed" this indicates
that there
is no textual support in any known text. The nature of the reading is such
that who
ever was the author of this "proposed" reading felt that if indeed this
reading was
"original" in a early manuscript the scribe must have made an error in word
division
here. Also since the reading is not reflected in the translation of the LXX
or some
other early Vorlage this error (if it is an error) must have taken place in
an earlier
copy of the text than we have extant today.

This is just my thought here. Also the "proposed" reading seems to solve the
unclear
nature of the current reading, and the resulting idea is indeed parallel to
the idea
which follows in the text that this may be a sound "proposed" reading. You
are correct
if the reading is correct "the righteous" and "God" do present two separate
words.

I just suggested this BHS note because Bill Ross' original question dealt
with the fact
that the passage was difficult with the current reading in the Hebrew text ...

Regards,

Bill Burks