b-hebrew - Noun Repetition.

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Ian Goldsmith <iangoldsmith1969 AT yahoo.co.uk>
  • To: b- hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Noun Repetition.
  • Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 16:28:33 +0100 (BST)

Hi All.
In the song of Moses; Ex 15:1, we have a repetition of
'gah'(sorry I've not got the translation key to hand).
This is rendered in the KJV as triumphed gloriously,
or something similar.

It seems to be an emphasis of the noun 'exalted/lifted
up etc'.
Could this be rendered then as 'is greatly exalted'?
More to the point if this repetition of the noun is
common place, what other uses has it? Or is it purely
for emphasis? Does doubling the word give it any other
function?

Look forward to your learned comments.
Thanks.

=====
Ian Goldsmith.
England.

Dibrah Torah kilshone bnei-adam
'The Torah spoke in the language of ordinary men.'
Berakot 31b