b-hebrew - Re: Noun Repetition.

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Charles David Isbell" <cisbell AT cox.net>
  • To: "Ian Goldsmith" <iangoldsmith1969 AT yahoo.co.uk>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Noun Repetition.
  • Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 09:48:44 -0500

Ian,
This is not noun repetition, but the use of an Infinitive Absolute preceding
the finite verbal form. The construction taken together indicates intensity
of the verbal action, something like, "He [YHWH, to whom the song is
addressed or dedicated] has triumphed magnificently/gloriously/totally."
Shalom,
Charles