b-hebrew - Re: TOHU in Isaiah

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Shoshanna Walker <rosewalk AT concentric.net>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: TOHU in Isaiah
  • Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2002 19:25:55 -0500

Since Aristotle's ideas were mentioned, I can mention the Oral Torah's teaching.

There exists nothing but G-d, and always has.

In order to emanate "creation", G-d "withdrew" from its center, creating a space which at first was void, perhaps this is "Tohu" - before creation took actual form(s)

You don't learn this from the literal texts, though.

Shoshanna

Jason,

I will not pursume to speak for Liz, however I believe her reference was to
Isa. 45:18

"For thus saith the LORD that created the heavens; God himself that formed the
earth and made it; he hath established it, he created it not in vain, he
formed it to be inhabited: I am the LORD; and there is none else." (KJV)

The word in the passage for vain is tohu

But this passage is not necessarily saying that God did not create "tohu"
(and I do not have the original message, so I am not sure if Jason is
correctly citing Liz). The NRSV offers a legitimate reading that does not
require one to read the passage as denying that God created tohu, but rather
than what he created was not intended to *remain* tohu.

For thus says the LORD,
who created the heavens
(he is God!),
who formed the earth and made it
(he established it;
he did not create it a chaos,
he formed it to be inhabited!):
I am the LORD, and there is no other.

"Jason A. Hare" wrote:

Liz,

You mentioned Isaiah denying God's creation of 'tohu.' Seeing my complete
lack of reference materal (save a couple of minor-level dictionaries) at
my disposal, I would like to ask for a reference. I'm sorry to be a
burden, but I think it would be great to be able to use that in
discussion. And if I knew where to find it, it would add more weight.
;-)

Regards,
Jason

Cb
cbrady @ tulane.edu
--
To attack a man for talking nonsense is like
finding your mortal enemy drowning in a swamp

---
You are currently subscribed to b-hebrew as: [rosewalk AT concentric.net]