b-hebrew - Re: TOHU in Isaiah

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Christian M. M. Brady" <cbrady AT tulane.edu>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: TOHU in Isaiah
  • Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2002 15:47:02 -0600

On 3/30/02 11:02 AM, "Bill Burks" <rwburks AT flash.net> wrote:

> Christian,
>
> I personally was not stating that I viewed Genesis 1:2 as indicating God
> created the earth in "tohu" or not in "tohu." I was just merely sharing with
> Jason the verse that I think Liz was refering to.

Thanks Bill. I was not saying anything about your post. I realized you were
just providing a reference.

> Liz originally wrote:
>
> "Rashi does not deny the principle, he denies that the bible talks about it.
> And Isaiah denies that God created tohu, and he is a LOT closer to the
> original writers than either the LXX or the Vulgate. Give it up.

And as I said, I would disagree with the statement that "Isaiah denies that
God created tohu." One might *interpret* that verse in such a manner, but it
is not a clear or simple reading.

Cb cbrady @ tulane.edu
--
(Below is a quote that was randomly selected by Entourage.)
"An optimist is a guy that has never had much experience."