b-hebrew - Re: TOHU in Isaiah

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Bill Burks <rwburks AT flash.net>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: TOHU in Isaiah
  • Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2002 11:02:35 -0600

Christian,

I personally was not stating that I viewed Genesis 1:2 as indicating God
created the
earth in "tohu" or not in "tohu." I was just merely sharing with Jason the
verse that I
think Liz was refering to.

I personally view Genesis 1:1-2 in conjunction with Genesis 2:1. With what
was started
in 1:1 being finished in 2:1. However I don't feel that is a matter of
language but
rather one of interpretation. In the context, creation when completed the
earth was
not "tohu." This also does not proclude the view of an "ex nillho" creation.
What
happened in Genesis 1:1 and ended in 2:1 began in my view from "nothing."
However we
are going far afield now from the study of language.

I do not believe however that such a view requires a complex linguistic
argument based
on the words of Genesis 1:1. Especially when the verse can just as easily be
translated simply, as a straight forward sentence with a subject, predicate,
object,
and prepositional phrase acting as an indirect object.

Regards

Bill Burks

Liz originally wrote:

"Rashi does not deny the principle, he denies that the bible talks about it.
And Isaiah denies that God created tohu, and he is a LOT closer to
the original writers than either the LXX or the Vulgate.
Give it up.