b-hebrew - Re: bereshit (translations) Paul

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Ian Hutchesson" <mc2499 AT mclink.it>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: bereshit (translations) Paul
  • Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 14:03:36 +0100

>It seems to me that Ian has a strong presupposition against his #4, such

Presupposition?

>that when his first alternative to it was proved baseless

Baseless?

>he retreated
>to another, then another, then back to all three claiming to accept all
>of them except for #3. But I don't understand his problem with #4.

1) br'$yt is unqualified; all b-nouns are qualified;
2) six day creation;
3) comparison with the Babylonian creation account:
after the creator (Marduk/Yahweh) vanquishes the sea (Tiamat/tehom)
with his wind, the creation begins; this includes the cutting in
two of the sea to form the waters above and the waters below.

I see no reason for choosing #4.

Ian