b-hebrew - RE: Psalm 2:12 and Proverbs 31 ben/bar

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "'Biblical Hebrew'" <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Psalm 2:12 and Proverbs 31 ben/bar
  • Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 09:08:30 +0300

How often do English language poets use French words (that are otherwise in reasonably common use in English as loan words) to alternate with the original English words for artistic variation? That’s the situation here, not an actual switch of language.

I have heard it suggested that the Aramaic word is used here because this is a quotation of words addressed to Aramaic speaking vassals. But this seems less likely to me than artistic variation.

Peter Kirk