b-hebrew - Re: bereshit (translations)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Ian Hutchesson" <mc2499 AT mclink.it>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: bereshit (translations)
  • Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 23:25:50 +0100

>Ian, if I see convincing evidence that a b-noun time phrase in Hebrew
>can govern more than one finite clause coordinated by w-, then I will
>concede my point. But I will consider convincing only evidence which is
>accepted by the majority of modern English translation teams. I note
>that it is perfectly possible, good English and not poor style to do
>this in English, when there are only 2-3 coordinated subordinate
>clauses, as in "On the day that I chose Israel and swore an oath to him,
>I..." But I have not seen any such example.

This is turning your back on evidence and opting for
the modern English translation as your argument. This
unfortunately is no argument. The reason for what you
see in modern English translations is clear and I have
already explained it. This has nothing to do with
the original text as the Vulgate, LXX, Schlach and
Italian translations show you.

Why do you need to understand the Hebrew at all, if
you simply use modern English translations as your
argument?

Ian