b-hebrew - RE: bereshit (translations)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "'Biblical Hebrew'" <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: bereshit (translations)
  • Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 22:06:00 -0000

Ian, if I see convincing evidence that a b-noun time phrase in Hebrew
can govern more than one finite clause coordinated by w-, then I will
concede my point. But I will consider convincing only evidence which is
accepted by the majority of modern English translation teams. I note
that it is perfectly possible, good English and not poor style to do
this in English, when there are only 2-3 coordinated subordinate
clauses, as in "On the day that I chose Israel and swore an oath to him,
I..." But I have not seen any such example.

Peter Kirk