b-hebrew - Elohim plurality

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Schmuel <schmuel AT bigfoot.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Elohim plurality
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 14:03:50 -0500

Shalom b-Hebrew

Schmuel quoting Daniel Segraves..
> Elohim is a masculine plural noun. Eloah, the singular form of the
word, > appears 54 times and is also used in reference to both the true God
and to > false gods. Eloah is from the Hebrew El, which appears 226 times. El
> signifies strength and power. > <snip>

Peter Kirk,
Well, 'EL may be a contracted form of 'ELOAH (though hardly vice versa)
or otherwise derived from the root 'LH; or it may be derived from the
root 'YL meaning "strength, power", as in 'AYIL "ram", "leader". But I
don't see how both of these can be true at the same time. BDB has a
summary of some options (pp.41-42), but a lot of this is pure speculation.
Hi Peter,

Ptting aside the relationship between the forms..

Do you find Daniel's Segrave's discussion of Elohim and plurality basically sound..... ?

It is the only such fairly complete grammar discussion that I have
found on the Net :-)

Schmuel AT bigfoot.com

Messianic Apologetic Email forum....
Messianic_Apologetic-subscribe AT yahoogroups.com