b-hebrew - Re: Limits of exegetical aids Was: Elohim not Plural

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Polycarp66 AT aol.com
  • To: lizfried AT umich.edu, b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Limits of exegetical aids Was: Elohim not Plural
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 13:56:11 EST

In a message dated 1/29/2002 1:27:56 PM Eastern Standard Time, lizfried AT umich.edu writes:

Yet, others want to use the NT.
Why should one be privileged over the other? You may think
that only your sacred scriptures hold the key, but others
equally vehemently think only theirs does.
To my way of thinking, both are late and tendentious.
The Hebrew Bible ought to be interpeted on the basis
of itself and other contemporary documents.
I'd say before 150 bce, and the DSS copies of the tanak.
liz

Well put though I have no objection to insights from either rabbinic thought or from the NT.  I simply would not use them to determine what they may have meant when written.  They are of value in understanding what they were later understood to mean.

gfsomsel