b-hebrew - Re: Monotheism was: "admittedly syncretistic..

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Jonathan D. Safren" <yon_saf AT bezeqint.net>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>, "Rolf Furuli" <r.j.furuli AT east.uio.no>
  • Subject: Re: Monotheism was: "admittedly syncretistic..
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 19:27:30 +0200

Dear Rolf,
Your monotheistic interpretation of the "Shema" is one I can subscribe to.
Note also the monotheistic statements in Deut. 4 "You have been shown to
know that YHWH is God..there is no other but Him" , "And you shall know
today, and you shall put it into your heart, that YHWH our God...there is
none besides him".
Note the similar statements in Is. 44. In both passages, there is a clear
denial of the existence of other gods, thus leading to the definition of
monotheism as the worship of one God, denying the existence of other gods.

Henotheism, on the other hand, is the worship of one God, without denying
the existence of other gods. This is evident in the Ten Commandments, both
in Exodus 20 and Deut. 5: "I am YHWH your God, who brought you out of Egypt
from the house of bondage. You shall have no other gods besides me." Here
there is no nullification of the existence of other gods, but a prohibition
of worshipping them.

In the past, much was made of Akhenaton's religion and its possible
influence on the Israelites.But the religion of Akhenaton was lacking the
idea of the divine suzerain, who makes a treaty - i.e., covenant - with his
human vassals.One of the major stipulations of every ANE suzerainty treaty,
after the self-presentation of the suzerain with all his titles, and the
history of his relationship with the vassal, is the demand for absolute
loyality to him, the suzerain. Does any other ANE religion involve such a
concept?

The only possibility I can see for the origins of such an idea, if it is not
purely Israelite, is the worship of Baal Berith in Shechem, where, according
to Josh. 24, the Israelites made a covenant with YHWH.

Sincerely,
Jonathan

---
Jonathan D. Safren